(29) I shall begin to tell you solely of that which had never existed before, and teach you the Service for [universal forms of salvation].
The teachings on the beginnings of origin in order to reveal the truth of the Service
(30) Among the ten performers of this Service, there are those who take the role of the Parent of the beginnings of origin.
(32) At the origin were a fish and a serpent in the muddy ocean. I drew them up and began the first couple.
(33) In the beginnings of origin, this world was a muddy ocean. Therein were only loaches.
(34) Among them were a fish and a serpent. Looking closely, I saw that they had human faces.
(35) Seeing this, an idea came to none other than the sincere mind of [Cosmic Space-Time].
(36) If I should add instruments to them and teach them My providence step by step,
(39) Then, after holding counsel, [Kami] came to the firm decision to begin this world.
(40) Since that time, the providence of [Kami] has been by no means an easy matter.
(41) It is indeed difficult to explain how I began things which had never existed.
(42) There may be no one who knows the truth of the beginning of this world.
(43) From now on, I shall tell you everything step by step. Never take it to be false.
(44) I began human beings, taking a fish and a serpent as seed and seedbed.
(45) [Cosmic Space-Time] entered their bodies and taught them the providence step by step.
(46) The number of children was nine hundred million, ninety-nine thousand, nine hundred and ninety-nine.
(47) The children were conceived in three days and three nights, and there Izanami stayed for three years and three months.
(48) The first children born were five bu1 tall and grew taller gradually.
(49) By this providence once taught, the children were conceived in the same body three times.
(50) The true and real [Kami] of this universe is [Cosmic Space-Time]. The others are all instruments.
(51) Drawing them forth one after another, I used them to begin human beings and gave to each a sacred name.2
(53) In the days to come, I shall teach you everything step by step. It will be solely about things you have never known.
(54) Hereafter, whatever I say will be solely about the beginnings of human beings.
- About half an inch. ↩
- OC 6:29–51: I have told you about things that have not existed until now, teaching you the Joyous Service of manifold forms of salvation. Among the ten Service performers, there are those who take the role of the main two aspects that represent Me, Cosmic Space-Time, the Parent who initiated the origin. I, Cosmic Space-Time, drew Izanagi-no-Mikoto and Izanami-no-Mikoto and taught them the providence to create human beings because I wished to see the Joyous Life and came up with the idea to create human beings and the world. At the origin of creation there were a fish and a serpent (Uo and Mī) in the muddy ocean. I summoned them and began the first couple. First, at the beginning of this world, there were nothing but loaches swimming in the muddy ocean. There was a fish and a serpent mixed within, and upon looking carefully, I saw that they had human faces. Seeing this, an idea came to Me alone: “If I drew instruments and gradually teach them My providence, they would surely become remarkable human beings.”
I then drew Tsukiyomi-no-Mikoto and Kunisazuchi-no-Mikoto, put them into the bodies of the seed and seedbed (Uo and Mī) respectively and established them as the aspects of My providence that provided the protections of the male and female instruments as well as the providence of bones and support, skin and joining. I then drew Kumoyomi-no-Mikoto, Kashikone-no-Mikoto, Otonobe-no-Mikoto, and Taishokuten-no-Mikoto. Once I made respectively them into instruments for eating and elimination, breathing and speaking, pulling forth, and cutting, the decision was made to finally begin the process of creating human beings.
I finally took it upon Myself to initiate human creation, but know that My providence dedicated to this from then on was truly not an ordinary matter. If I were to say, because I was creating human beings that had never existed before, the difficulties it was by no means ordinary. While there was no one until now who knew about My providence that went into the creation and development of humanity, I will tell it to you in detail at this time, so it will prove to be beneficial for you to listen to it carefully and not doubt what I say despite how strange it may sound to your ears.
The origin of human creation were a fish and a serpent (Uo and Mī), I made them as my instruments—a seed and a seedbed—and I entered their bodies and taught them My providence.
At the Jiba of Origin, I made Izanagi-no-Mikoto and Izanami-no-Mikoto the models of husband and wife. Upon having the seeds of 9 hundred million, 99 thousand, 9 hundred and 99 children conceived in the womb of Izanami-no-Mikoto in 3 days and 3 nights, and having Her stay for 3 years and 3 months, the first children were born 5 bu tall and all grew up equally. Then, by virtue of the providence I once taught Her, the same womb conceived three times. After repeating many countless rebirths, they became human beings 5 shaku (about 5 ft.) tall.
I, Cosmic Space-Time, am the original Parent that initiated human creation. The others are all instruments. I drew these instruments, taught them the providence to create human beings and gave a sacred name to each of function and aspect of the providence.
6:29–51 *General summary: The original parent is Cosmic Space-Time, or Moon-Sun, with the Moon having the sacred name Kunitokotachi-no-Mikoto and the Sun the sacred name Omotari-no-Mikoto. The Service mentioned here is the Kagura Service, which is performed around the Kanrodai with ten Service performers representing the ten aspects of Kami’s complete providence (Refer to note for Ofudesaki 1:10).
Verse 31 and beyond explains the beginnings of creation in detail in order to reveal the divine principle behind the Kagura Service and to teach us the difficulties Oyagami went through to create the world and human beings.
Because this story expresses Oyagami’s intention to us in poetic form, we should not limit our understanding with a literal interpretation. We need to open our spiritual eyes, awaken to the truths of Oyagami’s creation of humanity shown in the depths of this story, and accept the parental love of single-hearted salvation (For an explanation of this expression in poetic form, see Ofudesaki 1:21).
The beginning of this world was a muddy ocean. Therein was only Cosmic Space-Time. At a particular time, Cosmic Space-Time discussed amongst themselves, “Because there is no delight for the two of us being alone, let us make the world and human beings, see their Joyous Life and share in it.”
Then, when Cosmic Space-Time looked into the muddy ocean—which was filled with many organisms swimming within that were similar to loaches—there was an organism like a merman and an organism like a white snake. After discerning closely, Cosmic Space-Time found that these two organisms had faces and skin that were suitable for the human beings that Cosmic Space-Time came up with the idea of creating human beings with these organisms as the base. When Cosmic Space-Time summoned these organisms, they swam in a straight line. Cosmic Space-Time fully explained the matter and after persuading them to gain their consent, they agreed to be used as the instruments of the seed and seedbed.
Further, looking around in the muddy ocean, there was an organism that was in the southeast that was firm and enduring. This organism was also summoned, and after persuading it to gain its consent, Cosmic Space-Time consumed it to test the flavor of its mind. Because this organism had a tough skin and was tenacious by nature, Cosmic Space-Time decided to use it as the instrument for the female organ, muscles, skin and joining, and is the instrument of following childbirth. This protection is Kunisazuchi-no-Mikoto.
Next, when Cosmic Space-Time looked to the northwest, there was an organism that was vigorous and rigid. This organism was also summoned, and after persuading it to gain its consent, Cosmic Space-Time consumed it to test the flavor of its mind. Because this organism was vigorous by nature, Cosmic Space-Time decided to use it as the instrument for the male organ, of bones and support. This protection is Tsukiyomi-no-Mikoto.
Next, when Cosmic Space-Time looked to the east, there was an organism that could freely enter and exit wherever it wished. This organism was also summoned, and after persuading it to gain its consent, Cosmic Space-Time consumed it to test the flavor of its mind. Cosmic Space-Time decided to use it as the instrument for eating, drinking, and elimination. This protection is Kumoyomi-no-Mikoto.
Next, when Cosmic Space-Time looked to the southwest, there was an organism that was exceedingly flat. After drawing this organism and persuading it to gain its consent, Cosmic Space-Time consumed it to test the flavor of its mind. Because of its flat nature, it could be used to stir the wind. So Cosmic Space-Time decided to use it as the instrument for breathing and speaking. This protection is Kashikone-no-Mikoto.
Next, when Cosmic Space-Time looked to the west, there was an organism that would not tear, even when pulled. After drawing this organism and persuading it to gain its consent, Cosmic Space-Time consumed it to test the flavor of its mind. Because it was strong and would not tear even when pulled, Cosmic Space-Time decided to use this instrument to pull the child out of the womb during childbirth. This protection is Otonobe-no-Mikoto.
Next, when Cosmic Space-Time looked to the northeast, there was an organism with a swollen belly. After drawing this organism and persuading it to gain its consent, Cosmic Space-Time consumed it to test the flavor of its mind. Since this organism ate a lot, and would invite death when overeaten or eaten with carelessness since it contained poison, Cosmic Space-Time decided to use it as the instrument to cut the ties between the child and its mother during childbirth and to cut the connection to existence at the time of passing away for rebirth. This protection is Taishokuten-no-Mikoto.
The instruments of human creation were then all assembled in this manner, and the creation of the world and human beings could finally begin. Cosmic Space-Time then made the following promise, “Once the years equal to the number of first born elapses, you will be brought back to the Residence of Origin, be worshiped as Kami, and take delight together in the joyous play of human beings.”
The Moon and the workings of Tsukiyomi-no-Mikoto were put into the merman-like organism, which became the seed. The Sun and workings of Kunisazuchi-no-Mikoto were put into the white snake-like organism, which became the seedbed. The workings of the model of man, the seed, was given the name Izanagi-no-Mikoto and the workings of the model of woman, the seedbed, was given the name Izanami-no-Mikoto.
In this way, due to the efforts exerted by Oyagami, Tenri-O-no-Mikoto, Izanagi-no-Mikoto and Izanami-no-Mikoto became the models of the first couple. Kami ate the loaches and took them as seeds and conceived 9 hundred million, 99 thousand, 9 hundred and 99 children in 3 days and 3 nights. After Izanami-no-Mikoto stayed at Jiba for 3 years and 3 months, She gave birth within the 7 ri (28 kilometers) between Nara and Hase in 7 days. It took a total of 75 days for Her to give birth to all the children. Because of this even today they say a woman can leave her birthroom after 75 days.
The human beings at this first birth were born 5 bu tall (about half an inch). They grew equally to a height of 3 sun (about 3 inches) in 99 years and all passed away for rebirth. Then, Izanagi-no-Mikoto passed away for rebirth at this time.
Thereupon, with the providence already taught Her, Izanami-no-Mikoto conceived in Her womb the same number of children as She originally did. This time too, the children were born 5 bu tall. When they grew equally to a height of 3 sun and 5 bu in 99 years, they passed away for rebirth.
Following this, Izanami-no-Mikoto again conceived in Her womb the same number of children She originally did. This time too, the children were born 5 bu tall. When they grew equally to a height of 4 sun in ninety-nine years, Izanami-no-Mikoto saw this and said, “At this rate, they will gradually become human beings 5 shaku (about 5 ft.) tall,” and with a smile, passed away for rebirth. Then, all Her children, yearning for Her, also passed away for rebirth.
After this, under the protection of Cosmic Space-Time, humans were reborn as worms, birds, and beasts 8 thousand and 8 times. For this reason, human beings are able to imitate any living creature. After these 8 thousand and 8 rebirths, all living things passed away with only one female monkey remaining. She conceived in her womb ten humans at a time: five males and five females. At this time too, they were born 5 bu tall, and grew equally to a height of 8 sun (about 8 inches). The muddy ocean at this time began to develop highs and lows. When humans grew taller to a height of 1 shaku and 8 sun (about 1 ft., 8 inches), water and land came to be distinguishable. From this point on, humans conceived two at a time, one male and one female. They grew to a height of 3 sun and began to speak. That is why babies learn to speak when they are 3 years old (according to traditional way of counting age) and begin to show the signs of wisdom. After they grew past the height of 3 shaku, humans conceived in the womb one at a time. Then they gradually spread throughout the world seeking food. When they grew to the height of 5 shaku, the sea and land swiftly divided, the heaven and earth settled, and the Sun and Moon clearly appeared in the sky. Humans left life in the water and began to live life on the land nearby. Humans then came to live in various places in the world like they do today. Thus the people of the world are all Oyagami’s beloved children, and all human beings are all brothers and sisters. Humans lived in water for 9 hundred million, 90 thousand years, were instructed in 6 thousand years in wisdom after coming up on land, and instructed in learning for 3 thousand, 9 hundred and 99 years. Oyagami gradually instructed human beings in this manner, and raised us to the point between eighty and ninety percent of completion, but did not yet instruct them in the final step.
Here the time equal to the firstborn arrived on lunar 10/26 of 1838. The original Parent and Kami Tenri-O-no-Mikoto descended upon the Jiba of Origin, took Oyasama as the Shrine of Cosmic Space-Time, and spoke through Her mouth the final step, the final instruction, which is the final teaching that is to save all humanity.
Tenri-O-no-Mikoto is Cosmic Space-Time whose providence protects all things, created the world and human beings, and is the original parental Kami that continues to bless us. Oyagami taught us the complete providence aspect by aspect, of which there are ten and each given a sacred name. The ten sacred names are: Kunitokotachi-no-Mikoto, Omotari-no-Mikoto, Kunisazuchi-no-Mikoto, Tsukiyomi-no-Mikoto, Kumoyomi-no-Mikoto, Kashikone-o-Mikoto, Taishokuten-no-Mikoto, Otonobe-no-Mikoto, Izanagi-no-Mikoto, and Izanami-no-Mikoto.
Tenri-O-no-Mikoto created the entire universe. The entire universe is the divine body of Tenri-O-no-Mikoto and is the original and true Kami that permeates existence with the divine presence. In this world, Tenri-O-no-Mikoto is the Kami that has been directly revealed through Oyasama as Shrine at the Jiba of Origin. The sacred name Tenri-O-no-Mikoto has been bestowed on Jiba for eternity and Oyasama remains forever living at Jiba. This is called the truth of the everliving Oyasama. Truly, the Jiba of Origin is the place where Tenri-O-no-Mikoto lives, the root of single-hearted salvation, and the lifeblood of the Tenrikyo faith. ↩
- The Grand Shrine of Teshoko is a Shinto shrine located in Ise Province, and is dedicated to the Sun goddess Amaterasu, the daughter of Izanagi and Izanami, according to the traditional Japanese mythology. ↩
- OC 6:52: Izanagi-no-Mikoto and Izanami-no-Mikoto are the primary instruments of human creation. Amaterasu Omikami, who were born from this divine pairing, is enshrined in the Grand Shrine of Tenshoko.
*Note: Izanagi-no-Mikoto and Izanami-no-Mikoto are paternal and maternal deities, respectively. Their daughter, Amaterasu-Omikami, is enshrined in the Grand Shrine of Tenshoko (Ise). ↩